- ReeRee goes on the injured list with an injured foot and will miss most of the summer and (conveniently) get back in time to play the US Open
- JuJu probably won't be back from her elbow injury until Beijing after the US Open
- Rafa is a total Spanish football fanboy, and cheered for the
Barcathe La Liga all-stars in their victory in the World Cup over the Dutch
- GOAT Brain vacationed in Corsica with the Mighty Babes
- ARod shaved his hair
- The Worm got married to Nicole Vaidisova
- Tennis Canada declined to give a wild card to NaturAna for Montreal, and it all might be for the best.
- Some idiotic tennis journalists think ReeRee is the female GOAT despite the fact that she has not yet won more majors than Evert, Navratilova, Graf and Court
- Davis Cup quarterfinals happened: Serbia beat Croatia and will host the Czechs for the semis. Argentina beat Russia, and will travel to France who beat a clearly distracted Spanish team.
Almost none of these items have anything to do with a professional going out and smacking some balls to win a match. Hence the long silence of this blog.
The ladies are in Stanford for the Bank of the West Classic. The guys are at UCLA for the Farmer's Classic. Yes, Pac-10 universities have a fetish with medieval-looking buildings (I'm an alumni of one). Yes, it's a vain attempt to imitate the Ivy Leagues who are also fashioning a simulacra of European universities like Oxbridge. No, the boys and girls won't be playing in a vintage stadia.
Given Shrieka's form this past spring, can she elevate it during the USA hard court season? Is she due for a run? Can Sam be a superhero on hard courts as well as clay? Can Hamster defend her title? It's the WTA. It's anyone's guess who will win this tourney.
Tourney Site: here
Seeds: Sam, Aggie, Hamster, Shahar, Whoopie, Shrieka, Bepa and JZ
Last year, this dramatic trauma happened to the delight of some.
It scarred the blonde Bolletieri alumna so much that she decided to sign up for dubs with Whoopie this year to work on her volleys. Unfortunately since neither of them have a top 10 ranking, they weren't allowed a doubles wild card but they'll try again.
Nole has dropped out for personal reasons and is replaced by Muzz who must be looking for any reason to get out of Florida's summer humidity. Will Muzz show an ability to take control of points? Or has Gulbis recovered from his injury enough to hit through him? Will Samurai's supporters lift him to victory for a repeat of his win in his home town? Can Blah resuscitate his career?
Tourney Site: here
Seeds: Muzz, Samurai, Blah, Bags, Gulbis, Feli