Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wimbledon 2010: Ladies' Final Preview

July 01, 2010 - United Kingdom - Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, Wimbledon, England - 1/7/10..USA's Serena Williams celebrates winning the first set of her semi final match.


ReeRee got off to a slow start and then steamrolled over Petra (76[5] 62).

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 01: Vera Zvonareva of Russia celebrates match point during the Ladies Semi Final match against Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria on Day Ten of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 1, 2010 in London, England. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)


No, this picture is not of Bepa melting down. Even though she was flummoxed by Tsveta's serve, backhand and slice forehands, she kept her head and started to figure out her opponents variety to get to finals (36 63 62).

Bepa and ReeRee will square off on Saturday morning for the Venus Rosewater dish. ReeRee leads their head to head record 5-2, with Bepa's last victory taking place in the semis on the hard courts of Cincinnati in 2006. But as we all know, ReeRee is a different animal at a Grand Slam. ReeRee will have to be seriously off in order for Bepa to have any chance of beating her, and Bepa will have to avoid any meltdowns. I just hope Bepa keeps it competitive.

Speaking of her meltdowns, I love how the commentators have pointed out that something about Wimbledon's staid/traditional atmosphere keeps players (like Bepa) on their best behavior.

In Charleston 2010 against Stosur, she destroys her racquet in a tribute to the greatest racquet smasher of all time: compatriot Marat Safin.



The list could go on and on (e.g. US Open 2009 against Pennetta). Funny, how in her presser, the journos politely tried to address this:


Q. Have you worked with a professional on the mental side of your game? Is that just poise and maturity, or have you worked with a sports psychologist or performance coach?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I always believe in myself. I always know that, you know, I can do anything. For me, I think it came with an experience and I know better how to handle different situations.

But, uhm, I don't care what people say around. And when they do, I can get ‑‑ I can break the racquet, but it doesn't mean I'm not there in the match. I'm trying all the time.

But I think right now experience helps me a lot. I've been in a lot of different situations in the past of my career, and I think I know how to turn the matches around much better now.

Even if something is not working, I think I know in my head that I just have to take it one point at a time and just keep trying. In the end, we will see what's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment